Butterflied High Roast Turkey
1 cup Table Salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 turkey 6 to 7 kg rinsed thoroughly; giblets, neck, and tailpiece removed and reserved for gravy, and turkey butterflied as shown
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Sticky Rice Stuffing
3 cups sticky rice
200g Chestnuts – precook – chop – cover with stock (throw in a teaspoon or so of chicken stock powder into the water) or water and simmer for 25-30 minutes (do this beforehand)
2 green Apples
Approx. 3 cups Chicken Stock (1 ½ cubes of chicken cube or 2 tsp of chicken stock powder)
5 twigs of Thyme
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
50g Chicken/turkey liver, chopped finely
50g Chicken/turkey gizzard, chopped finely
50g Chicken/turkey heart, chopped finely
Lea perrins – a few dashes
1 large onion, diced finely
3 pips of garlic, dice finely
1 cup of white wine (you can replace this with another cup of chicken stock)
2 cups of chicken stock (1 cube or 1 ½ tsp of chicken stock powder to 2 cups of hot water)
2 sprigs of thyme
1 ½ tsp cornstarch (mixed in with a little cold water)
1. Firstly, dissolve salt and sugar in about 10 litres of water in a large stockpot or bucket.
2. Keep in a cool place and brine for 8 hours.
FOR THE STUFFING:1. Saute onions, finely chopped giblets, then add the glutinous rice in a medium saucepan.
2. Add the thyme and raisins
3. Add the chicken stock.
4. Cook for about 20 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Leave it to sit CLOSED for another 10 minutes.(You can also do this in a rice cooker.)
5. Seasoning with salt and pepper and lea & perrins.
6. Add apples toward the last 10 minutes of cooking so it won’t be too mushy.
TO PREPARE TURKEY FOR ROASTING:1. Remove turkey from brining, rinse well under cool water.
2. Foil a roasting pan and have a rack on top for the butterflied turkey.
3. Pat dry with kitchen towels.
4. Adjust oven to 220C.
5. Brush turkey with melted butter.
6. Roast it for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 40 minutes. Rotate the pan back to front after 40 minutes. PLEASE ADJUST COOKING TIMES FOR SMALLER TURKEY!
7. Watch testing. Juices should run clear.
8. Remove from oven, tent with foil and rest for 20 minutes. Carve and enjoy.
FOR THE GRAVY:1. While the turkey is roasting and the stuffing is simmering away, set a saucepan or non-stick skillet over medium low heat and SWEAT the diced onion and garlic for about 5-10 minutes.
2. Throw in the thyme towards the end of the sweating.
3. Turn the heater up to high, and pour in the white wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Pour in the stock and simmer for about 10-15 minutes to reduce it.
5. Then pour in the cornstarch to thicken and remove from heat and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Sieve out the pulp and press through. (You should have a nice smooth gravy.)
7. Serve the turkey with sweet and tart condiment like Cranberry sauce or Tomato & Chilli Jam or Rosemary Jelly available on the shelves.
1. Prepare the vegetables
Blanched Sauteed Vegetables
1 kg of mix vegetables like Broccoli, French Beans, Carrots, Parsnips, Asparagus
A pot of boiling water – enough to cover the veg
A pot of Iced Water – enough to cover the veg
Pepper & Salt to taste
Olive Oil to saute
2. Throw them in the boiling water for not more than 30 seconds to 1 minute.
3. Remove and plunge immediately into the iced water.
4. Drain and set aside.
5. When serving time, have to heat up the olive oil add in the garlic, then put in the mix veg to sauté, lastly add in some seasoning to enhance the flavor.
Recipe by Just Heavenly