Christmas Chocolate Fruit Cake
340 grams dried soft prunes, chopped
125 grams raisins
125 grams currants/raisins/cranberries
135g of red cherries chopped very coarsely
175 grams unsalted butter, softened
175 grams brown sugar
175 ml honey
125 ml Kahlua/Tia Maria/2 Tbsp Instant coffee mixed in 1 Tbsp Boiling water with 110ml brandy
2 oranges, zested and juiced
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons good quality cocoa
3 eggs, beaten to combine
150 grams plain flour
75 grams ground almonds
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1. Pre-Heat the oven to 150C
2. Line an 8” round springform/loose bottom tin with parchment. You can use a 9” but reduce the baking time by 20 minutes or so. Use the test specified at the end. Line the sides as well as demonstrated. The Parchment should be ½ as high again as the tin.
3. Put the salt, fruit, sugar, honey, butter, liquer you are using, orange zest and juice, spices and cocoa into a pot.
4. Heat to a gentle boil over medium heat. Stirring periodically. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
5. Allow this mix to stand for 30 minutes.
6. Add the eggs, flour, ground almonds, baking powder and soda to the cooled mixture. Mix well.
7. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1 ¾ to 2 hours until the top of the cake is nice and firm and shiny and sticky looking. Insert a skewer. It should have some crumbs stuck to it and be a little undercooked in the middle. still be a little uncooked in the middle.
8. Cool the cake on a cooling rack. Decorate with silver dragees, glitter, or anything Christmassy!
Recipe by Just Heavenly